News Blog NG

For 24/7 informative news, reporting, and current affairs blog

30% Discount Sales of Medici Terrace By Sujimoto Fully Furnished Luxury 4-Bedroom

Advert

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Boko Haram: Military Sustains Offensive, Liberates More Villages

Nigerian troops in action
Senator Iroegbu in Abuja: 
Soldiers engaged in Operation Lafiya Dole on Friday sustained its ground and aerial offensive against the remnants of Boko Haram terrorists in parts of the North-east, clearing land mines, destroying their camps and killing many in the process.

Unfortunately, they also lost two gallant soldiers with two others injured through landmines explosives planted by the retreating terrorists that have increasingly adopted guerilla tactics.
The Director of Army Public Relations (DAPR), Col. Sani Usman in a statement yesterday confirmed that the troops have also liberated some towns and villages in Borno State.
As part of the continued offensive against the Boko Haram terrorists, Usman said troops of 7 Brigade have as at yesterday entered and cleared Gudumbali town in Guzamala Local Government Area (LGA) of Borno State.
“During the operation, quite a number of the terrorists were killed; their weapons and equipment were destroyed. The troops are currently doing clearance operations in the general area," he said.
He recalled that the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) inflicted heavy damage on the terrorists’ camps within the general area last Monday.
In a related development, Usman disclosed that the troops of 5 Brigade Explosive Ordinance Devices (EOD) Unit, while advancing towards Dikwa, ran into landmines buried by the terrorists between old Marte and Kerenoa junction in Marte LGA of Borno State.
"Unfortunately, two soldiers lost their lives, while two others were critically injured due to the landmine explosion," he said.
Usman said that the bodies of the two gallant soldiers had been evacuated to the rear, while the other two wounded soldiers had also been evacuated and are receiving treatment at the military hospital. The formation also lost a Mowag Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) at the same location.
Despite this sad event, Usman assured that the troops would not be deterred as they continue their advance while pursuing the terrorists to their enclaves in Sambisa forest.
He added: “It is important to note that troops in the various formations and units in Operation Lafiya Dole are in very high spirit and more determined to destroy the terrorists’ camps and enclaves.
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has also intensified its intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) missions around Dikwa, Gamboru-Ngala, Gudumbali, Zari, Damasaki, Gubio and Magumeri, which have yielded useful information about Boko Haram hideouts and activities.
The Director of Public Relations and Information (DOPRI), NAF, Air Commodore Dele Alonge in a statement yesterday said that "this vital information also forms the basis for recent aerial attacks and subsequent destruction of Boko Haram targets across the theatre of operation".
According to Alonge, these successes can be attributed to the recent increase in combat platforms deployed for Operation Lafiya Dole and the subsequent increase in tempo of aerial attacks against the BHTs in North Eastern Nigeria.
"The latest successes were recorded at Tokomberi where Mi24/35P helicopters attacked Boko Haram locations and successfully destroyed targets. Similarly, Boko Haram locations in Sambisa Forest Southwest of Tokomberi were successfully attacked," he said.
At Gazadure, he added, East of Gubio, Boko Haram members who were reported to have taken over the town market were engaged and dislodged.
Alonge also disclosed that at Gulumbali, "Alpha Jets on armed recce mission engaged the BHTs while the Agusta helicopter successfully disrupted suspected Boko Haram supply routes where smuggling activities were observed and dispersed".
NAF to Enhance Professionalism Through Capacity Building…
In a related development, the Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Baba Abubakar has assured that the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) under his leadership would reinvigorate professionalism through sustained capacity building.
Abubakar in a statement signed yesterday by the Director of Public Relations and Information (DOPRI), Commodore Dele Alonge, gave this assurance while addressing officers and men of the 79 Composite Group, NAF Maiduguri during his operational visit to the Unit.
The CAS maintained that his administration's focus on professionalism was borne out of the fact that “if one is a professional, chances are high that he would survive more in the event of any problem”.
Abubakar who spoke in the light of the on-going counter-terrorism campaign against the Boko Haram sect in the North-east, further assured that under his administration "the NAF will come up with training programmes that cut across the entire NAF Specialities to enhance the capacity of both the officers and men so that they can better understand what is required of them".
“Our desire to reinvigorate professionalism is borne out of our understanding of the fact that for you to really function, you need knowledge”, the CAS said.
In addition to the promise for increased focus on professionalism,  Abubakar has also assured that his administration will also look at ways of enhancing the welfare of NAF personnel.
The Air Force Chief also promised to do everything possible within the shortest time possible to alleviate the challenges of accommodation facing NAF personnel in Maiduguri.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Views and Comment on This Post, Thanks.

Featured Post

WORLD CUP PROMO: Get a 15% Discount with a Spread Balance of 36 months in any of our Solar Power Package.

Capture all Your World Cup Moments with 24 hrs Power! Catch the Excitement in the air! Capture those thrilling World Cup moments in Ru...